Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving in the U.S.

In a somewhat last minute decision, I decided to fly to the US for Thanksgiving! I decided to go now while Chris was still doing rehab and I could spend the holiday with everyone at home. I was home for 11 days and they flew by way too fast.

The first weekend home, my Mom flew in to Philly and drove home with my sister. She thought it was a perfect opportunity to come while all of us kids would be home at once. We had a really nice weekend together.








On Thanksgiving I had dinner at my grandparents' with Gregg, Zach and my Mom's side of the family and then went out to a restaurant for a second dinner with my Dad's side of the family. We don't normally go out to eat, but my Aunt just broke her ankle and she usually hosts dinner. We ended up going to Slicks Ivy Stone, a country / family style restaurant in the area. It was actually the perfect place for our family gathering as it was the same restaurant that my grandparents ate at on their way home from being married 61 years ago. Their Anniversary was the day after Thanksgiving. I had a wonderful day with all of my family!  


Despite swearing the whole week that I wouldn't be one of those crazy people out shopping on Black Friday, I couldn't resist! It's not all about the great deals, I just love the craziness and seeing all of the people! It's tradition! I got up at 4:30 AM and met my best friend Bridgett at the mall for some shopping. I ended up shopping until 11 AM then headed home for a short nap before heading to State College to watch the Bucknell - Penn State basketball game. It was fun to catch up with some of the alumni and school admin. that we knew while we were at Bucknell. It was also nice to have a roadtrip/spend some more time with Gregg and Zach. It definitely brings back lots of memories to sit in the stands and watch our old college b-ball team play! I had to break out the #32 jersey and show some love. Unfortunately, I didn't bring them any luck - they lost by 3.

On my last weekend home, I ran the YMCA Turkey Trot with some high school friends, visited with my Dad and grandparents one last time and went to a Steelers party with Bridgett. I improved my time from last year and got 6th place out of 17 for my age group in the run! Unfortunately, the Steelers weren't so successful, but it was a fun afternoon with Bridgett and her family.


I had a wonderful time at home and was so happy to spend time with everyone. I was definitely teary saying bye to everyone and can't wait to be home again this summer. At the same time, I was excited to get back to Germany to my favorite two guys!

No comments: